I've been looking for a design for a small boat that will fit in the back of my 4WD when I go travelling. Inside the vehicle so I don't have to drag a trailer everywhere. Stable enough so I don't get tipped in too often.

A friend pointed me towards a boat called the "Water Rat". The original design and prototype were by Doug Laver. The plans were drawn by Ross Lillistone and are available from Duckworks Boatbuilders Supply.

If you would like to contact me please click here to send me an email.

Monday 19 January 2015

Skegs Fitted

The Water Rat has 2 skegs to give it some directional stability on the water and to allow it to be dragged more easily across land by the bow. I experimented with a scrap plywood mock up to see how big they could be. Starting with this:




This is the biggest a skeg could be without projecting below the lowest point of the hull. It just looks way too big and, if there were 2 of them. they would look silly! So I cut a strip off and tried it again. After several trimmings I settled on a skeg that is slightly larger than those shown on the plan (without any dimensions). Here are the skegs glued in place with fillets done.

 
 
The next step is to lay some fibreglass cloth over them to give additional strength and to protect them when being dragged over grass and sand.

No comments:

Post a Comment