I've been looking for a design for a small boat that will fit in the back of my 4WD when I go travelling. Inside the vehicle so I don't have to drag a trailer everywhere. Stable enough so I don't get tipped in too often.

A friend pointed me towards a boat called the "Water Rat". The original design and prototype were by Doug Laver. The plans were drawn by Ross Lillistone and are available from Duckworks Boatbuilders Supply.

If you would like to contact me please click here to send me an email.

Thursday 1 January 2015

Fitting Shelves to Support the Decks

The decks over the fore and aft buoyancy compartments need a shelf (or inwale) to provide an area for glue to hold them in place. I made these out of some 12 x 12 mm cedar strip, light and glues well. Here are photos of these strips being fitted in the boat.

The inside seams have been taped and the fore and aft compartments have been given two coats of epoxy applied wet on wet. This has been roughly sanded (appearance not important inside the compartments!) and I will give it another coat of epoxy when the deck panels are glued in place.


No comments:

Post a Comment